At least two people have been killed and 30 others wounded in Chicago amid a long Labor Day weekend.
The weekend's first homicide took place late Friday night in the city's Back of the Yards neighborhood.
A 36-year-old man was found on the sidewalk around 10:45 p.m. in the 5400 block of South Damen Avenue with gunshot wounds to the head and thigh. He was transported to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County where he was pronounced dead, according to authorities.
A 34-year-old man died less than five hours after he was shot on the city's South Side Saturday morning.
The man was shot in the abdomen in the 10900 block of South Racine Avenue and was transported to Stroger Hospital in critical condition.
The Cook County Medical Examiner's office confirmed the man, identified as Darius Sept, was later pronounced dead at 5:41 a.m. at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
Several shootings occurred during barbecues and block parties throughout the city Saturday and Sunday as 21 people were wounded.
- Around 3:15 p.m. Saturday, a 31-year-old man was shot in the 10000 block of South Perry Avenue. The man was sitting in a vehicle parked on the street when a man walked up and opened fire. The victim was shot in the head and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition.
- Around 11:10 p.m., a 29-year-old man was shot at a block party in the 3600 block of West 56th Place in the West Elsdon neighborhood, police said. The man told police he was outside at the party when he "heard shots and felt pain." The man was transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center in good condition with a gunshot wound to the leg.
- About 30 minutes earlier, a 20-year-old man was shot during a physical altercation in the 5900 block of South Mozart Street in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood. The man was fighting with another man when he was shot in the leg, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition.
- Just before 1 a.m. Sunday, police said a 34-year-old man was shot in the arm at outside of a house party in the 6800 block of South Loomis Boulevard. The man was approached by an armed offender who then opened fire, striking him in the arm, police said. The victim was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition.
- Around 1:40 a.m., a 20-year-old man was shot in the chest during a robbery at a party in the 1000 block of North Monitor Avenue. Police said the man told officers he was at a party when someone walked up with a handgun and announced a robbery. When the victim fought the offender he was shot in the chest. The victim was taken to West Suburban Medical Center in serious condition.
- Just before 2 a.m., two people were shot in the 6700 block of South Ada Street. A 20-year-old woman was shot in the foot and taken to Holy Cross Hospital in stable condition. A 21-year-old woman was shot in both legs and taken to Mercy Hospital where she was also listed in stable condition. Police said the victims were outside at a block party with a group of people when someone fired into the group.
- A 26-year-old man was shot around 2:30 a.m. in the 100 block of North Wood Street in the West Town neighborhood, police said. The man was shot in the leg while exiting his vehicle and was taken to Stroger Hospital in stable condition, according to authorities.
- A few minutes after 3 a.m., a 20-year-old man was shot in the 8800 block of South Burley Avenue. Police said the man was shot in the right arm and taken to Trinity Hospital in good condition, but details surrounding the shooting weren't immediately available.
- Just after 4 a.m., police said two women were shot leaving a party with a group of people in the 11700 block of South La Salle Street in the West Pullman neighborhood. A 56-year-old woman and a 52-year-old woman were both shot in their legs and were taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition. The pair told police they were standing outside a residence on the block after leaving a party with a group of people when someone walked up and opened fire.
- Around 5:25 a.m., a 20-year-old man was shot when a man walked up to him and opened fire in the 7800 block of South Constance Avenue. The victim was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition with a gunshot wound to the upper back.
- Just after 6 a.m., a 43-year-old man was shot in the arm, leg and lower back in the 8000 block of South Merrill Avenue and taken in serious condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
- Around 4:20 p.m., a 20-year-old woman was shot in the hand in the 800 block of West 95th Street while riding in a vehicle. Someone walked up and fired shots in the vehicle she was a passenger in, police said. The driver of the vehicle left the scene and the woman tried to to drive away but struck a CTA bus. The bus driver was taken with minor injuries to an unknown hospital. The 20-year-old was taken to Little Company of Mary Hospital in stable condition, police said.
- Just after 5 p.m. Sunday, two people were shot in the city's Rogers Park neighborhood. A 28-year-old man and a 29-year-old woman were shot in the 1300 block of West Morse Avenue. The pair were walking on the block when they said they heard shots and felt pain. The man was suffered a graze wound to the head and was in stable condition at St. Francis Hospital. The woman was shot in the chest and listed in critical condition also at St. Francis Hospital. It was not clear if they were the intended victims.
- At about 8:20 p.m. a 54-year-old man was shot in the 5700 block of South Keeler. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in good condition. Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
- Just before 9 p.m., two men were shot in the Rogers Park neighborhood, marking the second shooting in the neighborhood Sunday evening. The men, whose ages were not immediately known, were shot in the 7400 block of North Ridge Avenue. One man was shot in the leg and was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in serious condition. The other was shot in the abdomen, shoulder and leg and was taken to Saint Francis Hospital where his condition had been stabilized.
- Around 9:15 p.m., two people were shot near 95th Street and Oglesby Avenue. Police could not immediately confirm details surrounding the shooting.