Travolta's First Accuser Hires New Lawyer, Gloria Allred

The actor's first accuser had been dropped from the suit he filed after admitting he may have gotten his dates wrong

By Sam Schulz
|  Wednesday, May 16, 2012  |  Updated 1:33 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Top Entertainment Photos

Gregg DeGuire/PictureGroup

A day after dropping out of a $2 million sexual battery and harassment suit against John Travolta, the first masseur who accused him has hired celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred. He may file a new suit.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

The first anonymous masseur who accused John Travolta of sexual harassment and battery has hired celebrity lawyer Gloria Allred, just a day after he dropped out of the lawsuit he was pursuing along with another accuser.

"We are in the process of conferring with him regarding the next steps, which he may wish to take," Allred told People magazine Wednesday, declining to comment further.

The former John Doe 1 had filed a notice Tuesday with the Los Angeles federal court that he was dropping his claims in the $2 million suit. His claims were dismissed without prejudice, meaning he is free to make the same claims in a new complaint.

"Let's just say we had differences in opinion of how to handle the case and decided to part ways," the lawyer who had represented him in the first suit, Okorie Okorocha, told People magazine.

The former plaintiff had faced heightened scrutiny over the past week as Travolta proffered proof he was in New York on Jan. 16, when the masseur had alleged the sexual misconduct occurred in Los Angeles. In response, John Doe 1 had admitted he may have gotten the date wrong.

John Doe 2, meanwhile, is still pursuing his claims with the original suit, claiming that during an in-room massage at an Atlanta hotel, the "Pulp Fiction" star completely disrobed, asked to be massaged in the buttocks area and continued to make unwanted advances — inculding exposing himself  — to the masseur.

Travolta's lawyer for has earlier called the charges "absurd" and promised to vindicate his client in court.

After the two anonymous accusers sued the actor, a third accuser — a Chilean cruise worker named Fabian Zanzi — came forward last week.

Zanzi told a Spanish news website that Travolta had propositioned him on a cruise where he worked in 2009 and offered him $12,000 to have sex with him, which he declined.

"When he got close to me, he took off his white robe and he was naked," Zanzi told a Chilean news show, according to E! Online. "He hugged me and asked me to give him a massage."

Travolta's lawyer vehemently denied that accusation, too, saying Zanzi was "simply hopping on the bandwagon to get his 15 minutes of fame."

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out