Phil's Cabbage Soup
2 (28-ounce) cans Italian peeled tomatoes
6 large green onions, chopped
1 head of cabbage, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash (original blend)
1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
1 quart (4 or 5 cups) water
* Pour tomatoes into the bottom of a large soup pot. Mash gently with a potato masher or fork.
* Add all of the vegetables and seasonings. Cover with water and mix to combine.
* Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
: Original recipe calls for 1 envelope of dry Lipton's Onion Soup Mix, which can be used in place of the Mrs. Dash. However the onion soup mix is higher in sodium, compared to Mrs. Dash, which contains no sodium. If soup recipe using Mr. Dash does not give the desired seasoning flavor, 1 teaspoon of paprika can be added.
* Makes 20 servings, with 37 calories per bowl (about a cup and a half)
* Recipe courtesy of "More From the Farm: Family Recipes and Memories of a Lifetime" (2007 Pediment Press $29.95)