Cubs name two new assistant GMs in flurry of promotions originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago
The Cubs announced a flurry of promotions in baseball operations Monday, a week after Jed Hoyer took over as president of baseball operations.
Hoyer alluded to the impending promotions last week, before announcing that he expected to hire a general manager from outside the club.
“We have a lot of great employees here,” Hoyer said. “People that have been working extra hard during the last month and during this transition.”
Recent promotions give Hoyer three assistant general managers, with Jeff Greenberg and Craig Breslow joining Randy Bush.
Breslow, who was the Cubs director of pitching/special assistant to the President and GM this past season, will also serve as the vice president of pitching. The former major league pitcher originally joined the Cubs in 2019, as director of strategic initiatives.
Greenberg, who became an assistant GM earlier this year, has been a member of the Cubs baseball operations department since 2012. Most recently, he served as the Cubs director of pro scouting and baseball operations.
Other promotions come in scouting and player development, departments Hoyer has heled restructure in the past couple years. The Cubs promoted Matt Dorey, who is entering his 10th season with the Cubs, to VP of player development. They elevated Louie Eljaua, who enters his 13th season with the Cubs, to VP of international scouting. In 2021, Chris Moore will enter his first full season as VP of research and development.
Also receiving promotions:
- Alex Suarez, senior director of international player development and operations.
- Greg Davey, director of baseball operations
- Jeremy Greenhouse, director of strategic modeling in research and development
- Gian Guzman, director of Dominican Republic scouting operations/international crosschecker
- Meghan Jones, assistant director of baseball operations administration and strategic initiatives
- Garrett Chiado, senior player evaluation analyst in research and development
- Nate Halm, pro personnel specialist
- Adam Unes, coordinator of minor league operations
- Alex Smith, coordinator of major league data and development
- Jackson New-Smith, baseball operations assistant