Authorities in southwestern Michigan have identified a 13-year-old boy who died after a carbon monoxide leak in a hotel pool area that also sickened about a dozen people.
Employees at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles called 911 around 10 a.m. Saturday after seeing six unresponsive children on the pool deck. Police say a seventh child was found unresponsive in a first-floor room.
Police Chief Jim Millin says Bryan Douglas Watts of Niles was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. Millin says responding officers administered chest compressions to some children and helped get the affected kids into awaiting ambulances.
U.S. & World
Two responding officers were treated for carbon monoxide exposure and released from the hospital.
Niles Fire Capt. Don Wise says the leak was caused by a malfunctioning vent pipe from the pool heater.
Choice Hotels, which owns Quality Inn, said in a statement that its thoughts were with the affected families, and that this "isolated incident" occurred at an independently-owned franchise.