U.S. Capitol Building Lockdown Ends After Shot Fired - NBC Chicago
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

U.S. Capitol Building Lockdown Ends After Shot Fired



    Witnesses Stuck Inside Capitol During Lockdown

    Tourists and witnesses share their experiences being stuck inside the U.S. Capitol during a lockdown that followed the suicide of a man outside. Darcy Spencer reports. (Published Saturday, April 11, 2015)

    The U.S. Capitol Building was temporarily on lockdown after a man killed himself outside Saturday afternoon, NBC News reported.

    A senior federal official said the man killed himself with a single shot, and that he did not have any identification. Police are now looking for the suspect’s car.

    The incident took place in a public area around1 p.m. The man, who is not being identified, had a backpack and a roller case with him, which bomb technicians handled as suspicious packages, U.S. Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine said at a press conference.

    Dine added that at this time, there seems to be no connection to terrorism. The man did not have any other weapons with him aside from a gun but did have a sign with him about "social justice," according to the police chief. At this time, the exact language of that sign is unclear.

    Police instructed staffers to shelter in place as a precautionary measure, though the shooter had been "neutralized." The lockdown was lifted just before 4 p.m., but the West Terrace area remains closed until further notice, according to Capitol Police.

    A witness at the scene, Ramesh Nandi, said he and his wife were sitting on the steps of the Capitol, facing the Washington Monument when he saw a young man walk up.

    "He took out a placard that said something like, 'Why don't you tax the 1/4?' or something like that. " Nandi said. " I was trying to read the placard."

    Other witnesses said the sign said something about taxing the 1 percent, a possible reference to the Occupy Wall Street movement's "We are the 99%" slogan used during protests about the distribution of income and wealth.

    Nandi said he heard a pop and saw the back of the man's head starting to get red.

    "I grabbed my wife and said, 'Run! Run!' I thought it was a sniper, because I didn't see a gun in his hand."

    Nandi and his wife hid behind a wall. He said the man did not speak before the incident.


    A video posted by @shannondobrian on