Grandfather Died at Overheated, Understaffed Nursing Home: Lawsuit - NBC Chicago

Grandfather Died at Overheated, Understaffed Nursing Home: Lawsuit

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Man Died at Overheated, Understaffed Nursing Home: Lawsuit

    Parnell Benjamin, 44, died just over a year ago. According to a lawsuit filed Monday the father and grandfather of two was admitted to a nursing home last year after suffering a stroke which left him unable to speak or care for himself. NBC 5's Trina Orlando reports.

    (Published Monday, Nov. 5, 2018)

    Parnell Benjamin, 44, died just over a year ago. According to a lawsuit filed Monday the father and grandfather of two was admitted to a nursing home last year after suffering a stroke which left him unable to speak or care for himself.

    Four days later--he died of hyperthermia.

    His body temperature was 108 degrees. It was the result of prolonged time in an extremely hot room with a malfunctioning heating system, the suit said.

    Attorney Steve Levin, who represents the family, says Glenshire Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Richton Park was also severely understaffed at the time of Benjamin's death.

    A second resident died and seven others were injured as a result of the extreme temperatures.

    The nursing home said in a statement Monday that resident safety is always of the utmost importance, but would not comment further on any pending litigation.

    Get the latest from NBC Chicago anywhere, anytime

    • Download the NBC Chicago App

      Download the App

      Available for iOS and Android