Home Leveled After Gas Line Rupture

Third-party damaged Peoples Gas line just after 8 a.m., company says in a statement

An entire block in Chicago's South Side Morgan Park neighborhood was evacuated Tuesday morning after a home in the area exploded.

In a statement, Peoples Gas said a gas line was damaged by a third party just after 8 a.m. The damage resulted in natural gas igniting and causing an explosion to the home on the 2100 block of West 107th Place.

"All of a sudden, I hear a really loud boom. I felt it in my chest," said neighbor Jennifer Meade Magruder.

[[284641111, C]]

The owner of the home that exploded, Darlene Sheahan, was at nearby Sutherland Elementary School, where she is a kindergarten teacher, when the explosion occurred. Sheahan's teenage son, Luke, was also at school. The family's three-year-old dog was inside the home and did not make it.

Officials from the Chicago Fire Department were going door-to-door at 10:30 a.m. shutting off gas to homes.

This undated image, captured from Google StreetView, shows the home prior to Tuesday's fire.

Peoples Gas said the explosion and fire caused a temporary disruption in service to about 15 homes, but only one customer remains without service as of 7 p.m. Tuesday.

[[284476031, C]]

Contact Us