Civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. is being honored across the nation on Monday, including in Illinois. Ahead of the 50th anniversary of King Jr.'s assassination in Memphis, Tennessee, here are some of the events happening across Chicago to commemorate his memory as an advocate for equality and justice.
• The City Year Chicago’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service Opening Ceremony at Gale Elementary Community Academy, 1631 W. Jonquil Terrace from 9:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.; Governor Rauner is said to attend as well as Senator Dick Durbin.
• Mikva Challenge MLK Youth Summit at Jones College Prep, 700 South State St. at 10 a.m.; Mayor Emanuel Rahm is scheduled to deliver remarks.
• Willie Wilson’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration will host Governor Rauner at the New Convenant Missionary Baptist Church at 754 E. 77th St. at 11 a.m.
• The Faith Community of Saint Sabina (FCSS) will host Rev. Jesse Jackson and Pastor Pfleger for a conversation at 11:15 a.m., on the life and legacy of Dr. King. Then at 6 p.m., the FCSS along with the Purpose Over Pain (parents who have lost children to gun violence) and BRAVE Youth Group, will have a silent march in the Auburn Gresham community, 1210 W. St. Sabina (78th place).
• The New Covenant Baptist Church, 770 S. Cottage Grove Ave., will host Chris Kennedy at 12:30 p.m. as he addresses the impact MLK had on his family, the nation and the role King’s legacy plays in the world today.
• The Coalition for the Obama Presidential Center (C.O.P.C.) continues its “Get Ready Chicago” campaign with activities across the city to find meaningful volunteer projects around Chicagoland for supporters who have expressed interest: Pack lunches and make blankers for youth and families with Honeycomb for La Casa Norte, at the Obama Foundation Offices, 1538 E. 53rd St. For more information click here. Engage with Chicago youth at the South Side YMCA, 6330 S. Stony Island Ave., as volunteers will help teach ages 5-12 about MLK through arts and crafts from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. For more information click here.