High School Student Poured Gasoline on Himself in Cafeteria: Officials

A Geneva High School student poured gasoline onto himself Monday morning while in the school's cafeteria, officials said. 

According to a release from the Geneva School District, the student used a water bottle to douse himself with gasoline at about 7:30 a.m., but was "immediately prevented by students and staff from taking further steps to do self-harm or harm to others."

Police and fire officials were called to the scene and the student was transported to an area hospital. 

No other students were injured, but the school was placed on a soft lockdown and students were rerouted from the cafeteria. 

The soft lockdown was lifted just after 11 a.m. and the fire department cleaned the cafeteria, school officials said. 

"The safety of our students is the District’s first priority, and guidance staff are on hand to provide support and assistance as needed," the district said in the release. 

Contact Us