Fire officials on Wednesday revealed the cause of a massive fire that damaged several buildings in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood this week.
According to spokesman Larry Langford, the Monday blaze was sparked by the improper discard of a cigarette on an enclosed back porch.
Seven buildings were damaged after the fire broke out just after 5 p.m. at 3338 N. Marshfield Ave.
Fire officials said 127 firefighters responded to the scene.
"The flames were pushing against my windows and melting the blinds," said John Stavropoulos, who ran door to door in his building warning neighbors to get out.
Authorities said three buildings were on fire, but seven total suffered damaged. One building was a "total loss" while one other suffered substantial damage.
A total of 12 apartments were destroyed by the blaze, leaving 30 people displaced.
"A lot of combustibles and a little bit of a breeze today, so those two things combined were really accelerating the fire quite a bit," said District Chief Dan Cunningham.
Fire officials said the fire was put out just after 6 p.m. and no injuries were reported.
Lincoln Avenue was shut down from Belmont Avenue to Roscoe Street. Ashland Avenue was also closed from School to Roscoe streets.
A GoFundMe page has been set up for some of those displaced by the blaze.