Newlywed Found Stabbed to Death in Bathtub - NBC Chicago

Newlywed Found Stabbed to Death in Bathtub

Estrella Carrera got married on Friday, leaves behind two children



    Newlywed Found Stabbed to Death in Bathtub

    Neighbors said the stabbing death of a woman they say was quiet and friendly has left them uneasy. Lauren Jiggetts reports. (Published Monday, May 14, 2012)

    Police are investigating the death of a woman who was found slain in her Burbank apartment just two days after getting married.

    Estrella Carrera, 25, was found Sunday in the bathtub of her apartment, in the 7800 block of Rutherford Avenue of the southwest suburb, police said in a news release. She'd been stabbed multiple times, they said.

    Carerra got married in a small, hastily-planned wedding to the father of her youngest child on Friday, her cousin, Sandy Lopez, told NBC Chicago on Monday afternoon. Carerra and her new husband had an on-again, off-again relationship, Lopez said.

    The victim was reportedly wearing her wedding dress when officials found her body,  the Chicago Tribune reported. NBC Chicago has been unable to confirm that information.

    Neighbors, however, said they had no clue that she was married, planned on getting married or was even seeing someone.

    "I seen her walking to her car, her and her son. She never had problems with anybody. 'Hi' and 'bye' and that was it," said neighbor Jason Tokarczyk. "I never ever seen her with a guy since I have been here, and I never seen her walking in and out with a guy at all."

    Tokarczyk said Carerra was quiet and had only lived in the complex for a few months.

    His wife, Theresa Wilbanks, said she saw police remove Estrella's body from the apartment but did not notice a wedding dress. The crime, naturally, left Wilbanks uneasy.

    "Scared. Nervous for me and my kids. We live right here. Her apartment is right there," she said.

    Carerra had two children, ages 8 and 2, police said. The children were in the care of a relative over the weekend and were supposed to be picked up on Saturday afternoon. That didn't happen, and police were called for a well-being check, they said.

    The death has been ruled a homicide. Police said it appears to have stemmed from a domestic dispute.