Boy Playing With Lighter Severely Burns Babysitter

A woman babysitting several children was severely burned when a boy she was caring for set a fire in the home Saturday night.

The 25-year-old woman was asleep when the boy, who was playing with a lighter, started a fire inside the home in the 10700 block of South Edbrooke Avenue, the Tribune reported.

When the fire started to spread, the boy ran out of the room and didn't tell the sleeping woman, but he did tell his downstairs neighbors, who called for help.

Firefighters quickly put out the flames, and emergency crews rushed the woman to Advocate Christ Medical Center. She was listed in critical condition, fire officials told the Trib. None of the children were hurt.

Contact Us