Chicago Elementary School Reopens After Carbon Monoxide Leak - NBC Chicago

Chicago Elementary School Reopens After Carbon Monoxide Leak

New carbon monoxide detectors were installed over the weekend so classes could resume Monday morning at Prussing Elementary School

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Chicago Elementary School Reopens After Carbon Monoxide Leak
    Getty Images

    An elementary school in Chicago has reopened after dozens of students were sent to the hospital for carbon monoxide exposure.

    New carbon monoxide detectors were installed over the weekend so classes could resume Monday morning at Prussing Elementary School.

    At least 71 students and seven staff members were hospitalized Friday as a result of a carbon monoxide leak caused by a boiler in the main building. School officials are still trying to determine why the building's carbon monoxide detectors didn't go off.

    Since the new devices were installed, the building now has nine working carbon monoxide detectors, but some parents and Local School Council members also want the broiler to be replaced.

    71 Students Treated For Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

    [CHI] 71 Students Treated For Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
    Dozens of children were transported to area hospitals Friday after a malfunctioning boiler apparently released carbon monoxide fumes into an elementary school on Chicago's Northwest Side. NBC 5's Regina Waldroup reports.
    (Published Friday, Oct. 30, 2015)

    Get the latest from NBC Chicago anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android