National Ice Cream Day could not have arrived at a better time in Chicago as temperatures soar into the 80s and above.
To celebrate the national holiday, head to one — or a few — of these Chicago-area ice cream shops offering free treats on Sunday:
- Max's Delicatessen & Restaurant in Highland Park will serve a free scoop of rainbow ice cream in honor of last month's Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage. To earn the free scoop, you must say, "love is sweet."
- Cold Stone Creamery offers a free ice cream "creation" with the purchase of another creation, shake, smoothie or frappe. The deal only applies to members of My Cold Stone Club, the creamery's free rewards club.
- Dippin' Dots, with locations inside Chicago-area shopping centers as well as the Shedd Aquarium and Navy Pier, will hand out free samples of its new flavor Redberry Sherbet. The ice cream is made with Sour Patch Kids.
- Baskin-Robbins will upgrade your order with a free waffle cone on any double-scoop cone.
- Buy one, get one free soft serve ice cream cone — any size and flavor — at Carvel.
- The Breyers shop at Six Flags will offer the first 200 guests to buy a cup of double-scoop ice cream a free upgrade to a sundae plus a single scoop.