Police: Man Said He Was Making Bomb for Keith Richards

Wednesday, Oct 9, 2013  |  Updated 6:37 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Police: Man Said He Was Making Bomb for Keith Richards

NBC Connecticut/Fairfield Police

Fairfield police charged Joseph Callahan, 69, with bomb-making and illegal possession of explosives on Monday. Crews began removing the chemicals on Tuesday.

advertisement

A Connecticut man charged with possessing explosives claimed to be making a bomb for Rolling Stones rocker Keith Richards, according to the arrest warrant for Joseph C. Callahan.

The 69-year-old Callahan said he had detonation cords for rockets and chemicals used in the bombings of the World Trade Center in New York in 1993 and federal office building in Oklahoma City in 1995, according to the warrant.

Callahan is free on bond and will be arraigned Oct. 16 in Bridgeport Superior Court.

The Fairfield resident was charged on Monday with 112 counts of illegal possession of explosives, reckless endangerment and manufacture of bombs.

His lawyer, Richard Meehan, said his client never had any intention to make a bomb or to hurt anybody.  He said Callahan was not making a bomb for Richards.

According to Meehan, the statements made to responding officers were made by a man (Callahan) who was extremely stressed.  Officials said Callahan had been going through a divorce.

Callahan also admitted to being on multiple prescription medications, including some that had been prescribed to him. He said his chemistry background allowed him to order medications online.

Callahan also said he played with explosives as a hobby.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC 5... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out