Richie Incognito and Miami Dolphins Agree to Postpone Grievance Hearing

Incognito, who was suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team on Nov. 3, has missed two games for the Dolphins

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Richie Incognito agreed to postpone his grievance hearing challenging his suspension by the Miami Dolphins until the NFL completes its investigation into the alleged bullying of teammate Jonathan Martin. NBC 6's Ari Odzer reports.

    Richie Incognito agreed to postpone his grievance hearing challenging his suspension by the Miami Dolphins until the NFL completes its investigation into the alleged bullying of teammate Jonathan Martin.

    The hearing had been scheduled for Thursday and Incognito and attorney Mark Schamel arrived for at the team's training facility around 3 p.m. Instead, Incognito met with NFL special investigator Ted Wells, who had been there for the several days interviewing Dolphins players, coaches and other personnel about the alleged bullying of Martin.

    Incognito, who was suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team on Nov. 3, has missed two games for the Dolphins, who are 5-5 and tied for the final AFC playoff spot. Under the NFL rules, the Dolphins can continue to suspend him without pay for two more games.

    After four games, the team would either have to reinstate Incognito or cut him.

    Richie Incognito Arrives at Miami Dolphins Facility

    [MI] Richie Incognito Arrives at Miami Dolphins Facility
    Richie Incognito and his attorney Mark Schamel walk into the Dolphins Training Facility for Incognito's grievance arbitration hearing before Jonathan Marks.

    "I have agreed to postpone my expedited arbitration hearing until after the investigation by Ted Wells is complete," Incognito said in a statement. "I will cooperate fully with the ongoing investigation with a goal of resuming my career with the Miami Dolphins at the conclusion of this investigation. I love my teammates and hope we can put this distraction behind us soon."

    Meanwhile, the team also said in a statement that Incognito was cooperating fully with the NFL investigation and would meet with Wells.

    Martin, an offensive tackle, abruptly left the team last month. Allegations later surfaced that Martin was harassed by teammates, including Incognito, who allegedly sent Martin racist and threatening text messages.

    The NFL has launched an investigation into the incident which is being conducted by Wells, who met with Martin last week.

    The NFL Players Association is also conducting its own investigation into the matter.

    Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has set up a special committee to create a new code of conduct for the organization in response to the scandal.

    More on NBC6.com: