No Kane, No Gain

'Hawks star and alleged cabbie crusher offers apology sans details

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    Getty Images
    Patrick Kane is staying mum about his alleged assault.

    Patrick Kane is keeping the media on ice over his alleged beat-down of a Buffalo, New York cabbie.

    “As you know, because this is an ongoing legal matter I cannot discuss details at this time,” Kane said during a press conference for the U.S. Olympic Hockey team Monday in Woodbridge, Illinois.

    "Because I put myself in being in the wrong position in the wrong time, I've caused a lot of pain for my family and my hometown of Buffalo, the city of Chicago, the Chicago Blackhawks and obviously the great fans we have here in Chicago," Kane said. "And for that part I sincerely apologize."

    The statement were the first public comments that Kane has made about the August 9 incident. Kane, and his cousin James, are accused of assaulting cab driver Jan Radecki over a dispute concerning the change from a late night cab ride in Buffalo.

    According to a police report, the Kanes gave Radecki $15 for a fare of $13.80. The driver gave them back a dollar, but not the remaining 20 cents. James Kane then allegedly tore the money from Radecki's hand and began punching him, the report said.

    The cab driver’s lawyer, Andrew LoTempio began backing off the driver’s story almost immediately. News that the cab driver didn’t have a valid license quickly emerged.

    The case went before a Grand Jury last week. The panel is expected to decide whether or not to move ahead with second-degree robbery, a Class C felony, and fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services, both Class A misdemeanors charges this week.

    Both Kanes pleaded not guilty in their arraignment.