Burge Torture Victim Sues City

Eric Caine, 45, was convicted for a double murder in 1986. He later said he was tortured into confessing by officers in Burge's crew.

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2011  |  Updated 10:39 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Burge Torture Victim Sues City

Eric Caine

advertisement

A man who spent 25 yeras in prison for a crime he didn't commit has filed suit against the city and former police Cmdr. Jon Burge.

Eric Caine, 45, was convicted for a double murder in 1986. He later said he was tortured into confessing by officers in Burge's crew.

"There's no words in my vocabulary that will sufficiently convey to you the pain that I felt," Caine said at a Tuesday afternoon press event.

Caine was released earlier this year.

A federal jury in 2010 convicted Burge of perjury and obstruction of justice. Prosecutors said Burge lied in a civil court case when asked if he knew of the torture. Burge is currently serving his 4.5-year sentence in North Carolina.

With Caine's there are now seven civil lawsuits pending against Burge and the city, including former Mayor Richard Daley.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out