Jury Selection Continues for Accused Serial Killer

Andrew Crawford accused with rape, murder of 11 women

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    Jury selection continued Tuesday in the case against a Chicago man accused in the rapes and murders of 11 women between 1993 and 1999.

    Jury selection continued Tuesday in the case against a Chicago man accused in the rapes and murders of 11 women between 1993 and 1999.

    Andre Crawford was arrested nearly 10 years ago and gave a videotaped statement admitting to ten murders and rapes. He was later charged with an 11th murder after he confessed to it and prosecutors dropped charges against a man who had been wrongly convicted of the killing.

    As jury selection got underway Monday, Crawford sat plain-clothed at the defense table.

    "I didn't expect him to look like everyone else," said Marion Lemott, who spent nearly a decade waiting to see the man charged in her daughter's murder. "I thought he would look like evil."

    Attorneys quickly dismissed about 30 of 100 potential jurors because they said they couldn't serve for a trial that is expected to take from four to six weeks.

    Police said Crawford told them that most of his victims were women who agreed to swap drugs for sex

    Crawford has plead not guilty, but DNA evidence has linked him to the deaths of Patricia Dunn, Rhonda King, Angel Shatteen, Shaquanta Langley, Sonja Brandon, Nicole Townsend, Cheryl Cross, Tommie Dennis, Sheryl Johnson, Constance Bailey and Evandrey Harris.