An apartment building fire that broke out Monday morning in West Chicago, displacing more than 100 residents, was caused by an electrical malfunction, fire officials said.
The fire broke out around 2:18 a.m. in a three-story building located at 515 Carriage Dr.
West Chicago Deputy Fire Chief Bob Hodge said the fire started in the walls of a first-floor bathroom. Hodge said fire investigations found charring in both areas, according to The Daily Herald.
At least 100 people were reportedly displaced, but no one was injured in the fire.
About 150 firefighters from several surrounding suburbs helped battle the blaze, with fire departments as far as Elgin and Algonquin covering West Chicago's fire station.
Early reports indicated the fire burned 12 units on the east side of the building.
The American Red Cross helped residents who were displaced.