Turkey Fryer Sparks Crystal Lake Garage Fire

Damage estimated at $80,000

By Lisa Balde
|  Friday, Nov 23, 2012  |  Updated 8:16 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Turkey Fryer Sparks Crystal Lake Garage Fire

FILE Getty Images

advertisement

A turkey fryer was the apparent cause of a Thanksgiving Day garage fire at a Crystal Lake home, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called to the home in the 700 block of Windsor Drive just after noon Thursday, and the blaze was under control by 12:20 p.m.

No injuries were reported, but the damage to the home was estimated at about $80,000.

The fire remains under investigation. Fire officials said the preliminary cause of the blaze was someone frying a turkey in the garage.

Last year a Mount Prospect man deep-fried his leg while frying 25 turkeys for Thanksgiving.

The 86-year-old spilled 30 quarts of hot oil on his leg after tripping on cardboard. He suffered third-degree burns.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out