Teen Shot Along Safe Passage Route

Monday, Dec 2, 2013  |  Updated 10:37 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Chicago Pulls Back on Safe Passage Staffing

(file photo)

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Mayor Emanuel Walks Safe Passage Route

Mayor Rahm Emanuel greeted parents, took a look at improvements made at O'Toole School and visited the Kindergarten classroom. He even walked a Safe Passage route. But not everyone's happy. Mary Ann Ahern reports.

Chicago Pulls Back on Safe Passage Staffing

Two months after Chicago's school year began, the city is pulling back on staffing for Safe Passage routes that remain in place to ensure children's safety to and from school.
More Photos and Videos

A teenage boy was hurt in a shooting along a Chicago Public Schools Safe Passage Route in the Woodlawn neighborhood Monday afternoon.

The boy, 16, was shot in the arm about 2:30 p.m. in the 6200 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue, police said.

He made it into University of Chicago Medical Center on his own, police said.

That block is a Safe Passage Route leading to nearby John Fiske Elementary School, according to the CPS website.

Fiske is a receiving school for students from Sexton Elementary School, which was closed earlier this year.

Authorities think the shooting may have been a drive-by attack, police said.

Area Central detectives are investigating.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out