Four Rescued from Blaze

Two adults and two children are treated for smoke inhalation

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Two adults and two children are hospitalized for smoke inhalation after a fire breaks out in their Bronzeville home. (Published Monday, Sep 6, 2010)

    Four people were rescued from a Bronzeville apartment fire early this morning. 

    When firefighters arrived at the 4700 block of South Michigan Avenue around 1:20 a.m., they found flames and smoke pouring out of a unit on the fifth floor, and people hanging out the windows waiting to be rescued. The force of the fire had blown out several windows.

    "When we arrived we had a family of four hanging out the windows in the back," said fire chief Steve Chikerotis.

    One adult and two children, age six and eight, were rescued by firefighters on ground ladders and another adult was helped out of an interior stairwell.  The children were taken to Comer Children’s Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. 

    The fire was contained to one unit on the fifth floor of the building.  Fire crews had extinguished the fire by 2 a.m.