A shooting was reported along a city designated "Safe Passage" route late Sunday, the day before thousands of Chicago Public Schools children returned to class.
A 28-year-old man was shot in the neck just after 11:30 p.m. on the 1400 block of South Tripp, across from Charles Evans Hughes Elementary School.
Police said the man has gang affiliations.
The victim was listed in stable condition early Monday.
More than 600 workers are stationed along Safe Passage routes to help children travel safely to and from school.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel and his schools chief last week clarified the strategy behind Safe Passage.
"Safe Passage is just not the geographic passage where children walk," Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett told reporters at a press event at Jones College Prep. "It's a comprehensive strategy involving multiple resources of the sister agencies."