Fire Erupts in NW Indiana Theater

About 1,800 people were in attendance when a curtain went up in flames, fire officials said

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A curtain goes up in flames during a performance at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville, Indiana. (Published Thursday, Feb 10, 2011)

    People watching a performance at a theater in Northwest Indiana Wednesday night had a big scare.

    A red velvet curtain went up in flames during a performance of "Shanghai Circus Live" around 8 p.m. at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville, Ind.

    Savoy Corona was inside the building when the fire broke out and captured the scene on his camera.

    Fire officials told the Northwest Indiana Times about 1,800 people were safely evacuated from the building within minutes.

    The blaze only affected the stage area, and there was some smoke and water damage to the first 10 rows from the sprinkler system, said fire officials.