Couple Sues After Child Who Took Infant Tylenol Dies

The lawsuit claims the 3-month-old died after taking infant Tylenol

By Allison Preston
|  Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012  |  Updated 1:57 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Couple Sues After Child Who Took Infant Tylenol Dies

AP

Parents are suing Johnson & Johnson and McNeil PPC after the death of their 3-month-old due to contaminated infant-formula liquid Tylenol. Some versions of infant Tylenol were pulled because of problems with a device that helps measure dosing.

advertisement

Parents of a local 3-month-old are taking legal action after they said their child died taking contaminated infant-formula liquid Tylenol.

The infant, Markus Cherry, received a prescription for Tylenol after receiving vaccinations at a checkup in April 2010, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Tylenol was given to relieve any discomfort from the shots, and Markus left the pediatrician's office with a clean bill of health, according to the lawsuit filed in Cook County against McNeil PPC and Johnson & Johnson by Markus' parents. The infant became sick shortly after and died three days later.

Two weeks after the boy's death, the FDA found bacteria contamination in the drugs, issuing a recall for Tylenol Infant Drops. The lawsuit claims, however, the company issued a “stealth recall,” hiring a private company to buy the entire stock of the tainted drugs from retailers instead of making a formal recall notice and warning consumers not to buy the drugs.

The contaminated drugs were found at the Fort Washington, Pa., plant.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out