Boy Rescued From Sand Dune Still Critical

Nathan Woessner's condition remains unchanged after fall into Indiana sand dune

View Comments ()



    A 6-year-old boy buried for hours under sand at the Indiana Dunes is moving his arms and legs, doctors said. The medical director of the pediatric intensive care unit at the University of Chicago Medicine told reporters Nathan Woessner is under sedation and is breathing with a ventilator until his lungs can fully function. The breathing tube could be removed by the end of the week, Dr. Tracy Koogler said, and he'll likey be released from the hospital in 10-14 days. "He was breathing at some level on his own when he was found," Koogler said. "I expected him to arrive much sicker than he did." Woessner spent three-and-a-half hours trapped in the sand Friday night and remains in critical condition at Comer Children's Hospital. Hospital spokesman John Easton said the boy is breathing with a ventilator. The boy fell inside a sinkhole sometime after 4 p.m. Friday at Mt. Baldy in Michigan City, Ind. (Published Monday, July 15, 2013)

    A 6-year-old Illinois boy remains in critical condition after he spent hours buried beneath an Indiana sand dune.

    A spokesman for the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital says Tuesday that Nathan Woessner's condition remains unchanged.

    Grandfather Describes Boy's Fall Into Indiana Sinkhole

    [CHI] Grandfather Describes Boy's Fall Into Indiana Sinkhole
    Nathan Woessner, 6, remains in critical condition after he fell into a sinkhole Friday at the Indiana Dunes. His grandfather, Don Reul, tells reporters about the boy's fall and rescue. (Published Monday, July 15, 2013)

    The Sterling boy was buried for more than three hours before rescuers pulled him from beneath 11 feet of sand on Friday. He was limp and cold, but began breathing on his way to the hospital.

    Doctors say he's expected to recover and should be released in about two weeks.

    The Mount Baldy area at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore will remain closed indefinitely following the accident.

    Authorities believe Woessner may have fallen into a hole that was created by a long-buried tree that had decomposed, leaving a void in the sand.