Carbon Monoxide Leak Sends 25 Students to Hospitals

Leak may have been due to a faulty boiler

Monday, Nov 5, 2012  |  Updated 3:38 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Carbon Monoxide Leak Sends 25 Students to Hospitals

Getty Images

advertisement

More than two dozen children were sent to area hospitals Monday afternoon after a carbon monoxide leak in their far south side Chicago school.

The children complained of nausea, vomiting and headaches at Harold Washington Elementary School, in the 9100 block of South University Avenue, a fire department spokesperson said.

Ultimately, 25 children were listed in good condition at hospitals.

Crews were called to the school about about 12:45 p.m. Firefighters ventilated the third floor of the building with fans and evaluated the students before sending them to hospitals.

The leak may have been due to a faulty boiler.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC 5... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out