Kids Killed In Fire May Have Been Recent Wards of State

Spokesperson for Indiana Department of Child Services could not comment, nor confirm report that children were previously in foster care

By Chris Coffey
|  Friday, Jan 17, 2014  |  Updated 6:56 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Crime scene investigators Thursday collected evidence at the scene of a fatal house fire in Hammond nearly one week after three young children were killed. This comes at the same time new details are emerging on whether the children should have been staying in the home in the first place. Chris Coffey reports.

Crime scene investigators Thursday collected evidence at the scene of a fatal house fire in Hammond nearly one week after three young children were killed. This comes at the same time new details are emerging on whether the children should have been staying in the home in the first place. Chris Coffey reports.

Photos and Videos

3 Dead, 3 Injured in NW Indiana House Fire

Authorities say there were no utilities, including heat, in the home and that propane-powered space heaters were being used by the family to keep warm. Michelle Relerford reports.

Space Heater Suspected in Fatal House Fire

Three children -- the youngest just six months old -- were killed and three other family members were injured when a space heater ignited clothing and bedding inside a Hammond, Ind., home.
More Photos and Videos

Crime scene investigators Thursday collected evidence at the scene of a fatal house fire in Hammond nearly one week after three young children were killed. This comes at the same time new details are emerging on whether the children should have been staying in the home in the first place.

A propane-fueled space heater is the preliminary cause of the fire, according to fire officials.

NBC 5 Investigates has confirmed the Hammond police and fire Departments are conducting a joint investigation of the tragedy at 644 Sibley Boulevard.

The three children, 7-month-old Jayden Young, 3-year-old Alexia Young and 4-year-old Dasani Young, were not able to get out of the home during the fire. Another 3-year-old and a 6-year-old were also transferred to a local hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and minor burns. They are both listed in good condition.

Their father, D'Andre Young, was listed in critical condition with third-degree burns after trying to run back into the home in an attempt to rescue his kids.

According to a published report from the Northwest Indiana Gazette, the children were in foster care with the state of Indiana until being returned to the home last June.

Officials told NBC 5 Investigates that electricity at the property was turned off last March, and gas was turned off last April. Additionally, officials said the home lost access to water in October.

"They should have inspected it better or did some type of investigating before they let them back in there," said neighbor Michael Canty.

A spokesperson for the Indiana Department of Child Services could not comment, nor confirm reports that the children were previously in foster care.

"Federal and State confidentiality laws prohibit DCS from providing information on cases," said DCS spokesperson James Wide.

The city slapped the property with several building code violations dating back to last Spring.

According to the Hammond city attorney, it remains unclear who actually owns the property. However, the city said someone who may be the owner of the property took out an insurance policy in October.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments

Follow Us

Meet the team
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC 5... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out