Happy weekend, runners!
If you feel like capping off your week with a good old-fashioned race, look no further. Here's what's going on in the Chicago area this weekend:
Saturday, November 23rd:
- Give Then Gobble 5K - 9 a.m. at the Joliet Spanish Community Center. Registration is $25 ($80 for a group of four) and participants receive a t-shirt. The race starts at 1215 Houbolt Road and winds through Joliet Junior College's Prairie and Forest Trails. If you can, bring a canned good to donate and then enjoy the afterparty at La Mex Restaurant.
- The Great Turkey Run - Virtual 5K/10K/Half Marathon - Anywhere, at any time between tomorrow and December 1st. Registration is $20 tonight, and jumps to $25 tomorrow. Hosted by "Will Run For Bling," this race is unique because you can map your own course and receive a custom 3" medal for participating. Proceeds benefit Feeding America.
- Grace to the Finish 5K - 9 a.m. at Mokena's Metra Train Station (11124 Front Street). This flat course winds through downtown Mokena and the Hickory Creek Forest Preserve. Online registration is closed but you can register in person for $25 from 7 to 8:30 a.m. on race day. The event will also feature promotional tables and giveaways from several sponsors. Anchored by Grace Fellowship Church, proceeds benefit Mokena's Cancer Support Center and local youth football organizations.
Sunday, November 24th:
- Jingle Bell 5K Run/Walk - 9 a.m. at the Shapiro Development Center in Kankakee (100 East Jeffery Street). Race day registration is $35 beginning at 7 a.m., and the race also features a 1-mile fun walk. This event has been happening every year since 1984, and proceeds benefit the Arthritis Foundation. Wear a festive costume and tie jingle bells to your shoes!
- Lisle Chamber 5K Turkey Trot Tune-Up - 9 a.m. at Lisle Community Park (1825 Short Street). Run/Walk through the paths of the Lisle Community Park, race day registration is $40 and the first 300 registrants receive a long-sleeve hooded sweatshirt.
- Lincolnwood 5K/10K Turkey Trot - 8:45 a.m. at Proesel Park in Lincolnwood (7055 Kostner Avenue). This is the 37th Annual Lincolnwood Turkey Trot, a flat, fast race to benefit the Lincolnwood Parks and Recreation scholarship program and the Niles Township Food Pantry. Registration is $35, and the event also features a children's 10-and-under Drumstick Dash for $15. Bring a food donation for the pantry for an entry in the post-race raffle, and stick around for the post-race party too. Participants receive a technical running shirt.
That's what's happening this weekend. Keep an eye out for the many, many Turkey Trots happening later this holiday week and let us know what you're running this weekend!