Heat and hot water returned Monday to a Lincoln Park building, a full week after the boilers were taken offline because the main chimney was found to be leaking carbon monoxide.
Chicago's Department of Buildings confirmed that a temporary, court-ordered chimney had been constructed over the weekend and that the services had returned.
Lakeview Associates, which manages the building at 2738 N. Pine Grove Ave., is now working toward a permanent solution.
Residents of the 169-unit, 14-floor mid-rise had been told they would be without heat and hot water for at least three weeks before the city stepped in. In a letter to residents, the company told residents to use space heaters and their ovens for heat.
The Chicago Fire Department strongly recommends against using ovens for heat. Doing so is a fire hazard and can expose residents to dangerous levels of carbon dioxide, officials said.
Under Chicago ordinance, landlords are indeed mandated to furnish an adequate supply of heat to their residents during the cold winter months. Building owners can be fined up to $500 for each day they don't provide heat.