The nominees were announced Monday at a private breakfast at JBF Award-winning chef Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill.
Some of the Chicago nominees in the major categories include:
- Outstanding Chef: Paul Kahan (Blackbird)
- Best New Restaurant: L2O (Chef: Laurent Gras, Owner: Richard Melman)
- Outstanding Restaurant Design: The Publican
- Outstanding Restaurateur: Richard Melman, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises
- Oustanding Pastry Chef: Mindy Segal, Hot Chocolate
- Outstanding Wine Service: Bin 36 - Wine Director Brian Duncan
- Outstanding Service: Spiaggia
The James Beard Foundation presents awards in 52 categories, including Restaurant and Chef, Book, Journalism, Design and Graphics, and Broadcast Media.
The winners will be announced at a ceremony at New York's Lincoln Center on May 4.