Amateur singers will fluff up their courage -- and anything else they want to -- and hit the stage at area bars for Windy City Media's Gay Idol contest.
Competitions kick off March 29 and are held at bars all over the North Side. Anyone at the bar gets to vote on the performers, and two finalists from each bar advance. The preliminary rounds are like karaoke with a vengeance, since the crowd can be pretty harsh on those it doesn't like.
The performances start March 29 at Star Gaze in Andersonville, with seven more competitions before the finals June 13 at Sidetracks. More than $5,000 in cash and prizes is on the line.
Here's the list of events (more bars may be added later):
- Sunday, March 29: Star Gaze, 5419 N. Clark, 6 p.m. sign up, 7 p.m. start.
- Tuesday, April 7: Jackhammer, 6406 N. Clark, 9 p.m. sign up, 10 p.m. start.
- Thursday, April 16: Spin, 800 W. Belmont, 8 p.m. sign up, 9 p.m. start.
- Tuesday, April 21: Crew, 4804 N. Broadway, 7 p.m. sign up, 8 p.m. start.
- Wed., April 29: Mary's Attic, 5400 N. Clark, 8,p.m. sign up, 9 p.m. start.
- Wed., May 20: @mosphere, 5355 N. Clark, 8 p.m. sign up, 9 p.m. start.
- Thursday, May 28: WILD CARD, Roscoe's, 3356 N. Halsted, 9 p.m. door opens, 10 p.m. start. Invited guests plus open slots for new singers.
- Sat., May 30: SEMI-FINALS, Sidetrack, 3349 N. Halsted, 2 p.m. door opens, 4 p.m. start.
- Sat., June 13: FINALS, Sidetrack, 3349 N. Halsted, 2 p.m. door, 4 p.m. start/
If you want to sign up to compete, check out Windy City Media Group's site for the rules.