July 4. January 1. Cinco de Mayo. Thank goodness there's always a reason to party.
If you're one of the many who thinks Cinco de Mayo is Mexican Independence Day, you are WRONG, my friend. That day would be Sept. 16 (another day to celebrate!); Cinco de Mayo marks the Mexican army's defeat of French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5 (natch), 1862
Hey, that's cool. We'll drink to that. Here are five places that will be celebrating on the 5th with some great deals:
1) Zocalo, 358 W. Ontario St. 312-302-9977. $5 specials between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. ''Cinco Dolar'' margaritas, shots of Cuervo Traditional and Silver tequilas, and $5 chef's choice taco bar and half-off all appetizers in the bar from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Raffles and prizes throughout the night and a DJ spinning at 6 p.m.
2) Park 52, 5201 S. Harper Ave. 773-241-5200. $3 Coronas and an appetizer/cocktail combo: the chicken quesadilla with roasted salsa will be served with a Jose Cuervo margarita on the rocks for $15 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
3) Timothy O'Toole's Pub, 622 N. Fairbanks Court. 312-642-0700. Celebrate ''Cinco O'Mayo'' with $4 Dos Equis draft beers and $18 Corona/Corona Light/Pacifico Mix N' Match buckets which include Chef Sean O'Brien's chips and salsa (with bucket purchase) from 6 p.m.-8 p.m. Corona will raffle off a "Beach Package" that includes beach chairs with cooler, beach ball, towels, and more.
4) Smoke Daddy Rhythm and Barbeque, 1804 W. Division St. 773-772-6656. From 11:30am-11:00pm, sip $2 Corona and Corona Light Bottles, in addition to $5 nachos (two layers of tortilla chips, pulled pork, chicken or brisket, Division Street chili, Monterey jack cheese, sharp cheddar, white onion, tomatoes, cilantro and Smoke Daddy's famous BBQ sauce) and BBQ smoked chicken enchiladas with coleslaw and fries, $10. Beginning at 9 p.m., Nigel Mack will perform live.
5) Dunlay's on the Square, 3137 West Logan Blvd. 773-227-2400. Sip $2 Pacificos and $5 Margaritas while enjoying Mexican-themed specials, such as fish tacos $12, steak tacos $10, guacamole and chips $8 and ceviche $9. A $7 Don Julio Premium Tequila flight will also be featured. The patio will be open, weather permitting.