Curry Gets Custody of Son

Grandmother initially refused to surrender boy

In compliance with a court order, the grandmother of Eddy Curry's 3-year-old son late Thursday turned the boy over to attorneys of the New York Knicks player.

"Losing my grandson is the latest tragedy for our family," Yolan Henry said in a statement.  "I have spent the last few months trying to help my grandson adjust to life without his mother, Nova Henry and baby sister, Ava. Noah clings to me every moment of the day and cries when I am not in his sight. I pray that God gives him the strength to cope with this separation from his family. Our family will appeal this order and do everything in our power to see that Noah is returned to us.    Ultimately, we would like to jointly raise Noah with the Curry Family."

Henry initially refused to turn the boy over, telling the Chicago Tribune after a custody hearing that she considered herself to be "on the run." She said she was trying to protect Noah Curry, not kidnap him.

"I feel that it's unfair to subject this child to a turnover when he doesn't know the parties he is being turned over to," she told the Tribune. "We are forced to be fugitives."

Henry had custody of the boy since her daughter, Nova, and infant granddaughter, Ava, were fatally shot in their Chicago town house in January. Noah Curry was there but unharmed.

Judge Fe Fernandez on Thursday ordered Henry to turn the boy over to his father's attorneys, who have the option of calling law enforcement to take custody.

Yolan Henry said she plans to file an appeal with the appellate court on Friday to challenge the ruling.

Fredrick Goings, a 36-year-old attorney who once dated Nova Henry, is charged with killing her and her child. He is being held without bail. Goings represented Henry in a paternity case with Curry.

"Hopefully, there is no misunderstanding about the legal exchange of Noah to his father, but as his grandmother I only have the best interest of Noah at heart," Henry said.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us