A northwest suburban man who permanently lost sight in his left eye after he was hit by a line-drive foul ball in August at Wrigley Field is suing Major League Baseball and the Chicago Cubs, his attorneys said.
John “Jay” Loos, 60, was sitting in a “seat close to the field” at the Cubs’ Aug. 29 game against the Pittsburgh Pirates, according to a statement from Clifford Law Offices, the firm representing him.
Loos, of Schaumburg, was hit in the left eye by the foul ball and has since gone blind in the eye, the law firm says.
“It was just too fast," Loos said at a press conference Monday. "My son, who saw the ball coming, told me he didn’t have time to say or do anything.”
The Cubs did not comment on the lawsuit, but said in a statement, "The safety of our fans is paramount to a great game day experience. We will continue to work with Major League Baseball to discuss and explore ways to ensure the safest possible environment for our guests."
The lawsuit follows a recent incident in New York that saw New York Yankees infielder Todd Frazier accidentally strike a young girl with a foul ball during a game. The ball, which travelled into the stands at over 100 MPH, sent shockwaves through the baseball world and prompted reactions from all corners as the league looks to improve safety.
The Cubs had previously said they plan to extend netting at least 30 feet down each of the foul lines at the iconic ballpark next season.
“It’s too late for me, but MLB must fix this," Loos said. "Not after the playoffs. Not next year. Now.”