Alleged Steve Buscemi NYC attacker in custody, was tied to another assault on same day

The 66-year-old actor was taken to the hospital where staff treated him for bruising, swelling, and bleeding to his left eye following the May 8 attack, police said,

NBC Universal, Inc.

The man identified as the suspect in an alleged sucker-punch attack on actor Steve Buscemi in Manhattan earlier this month was arrested, senior city officials with knowledge of the investigation confirmed Friday.

Clifton Williams was apprehended after his building supervisor called 911 during a dispute over Williams' property at a homeless shelter in Chelsea. After the 50-year-old claimed some of his belongings had been stolen, officers responded to get Williams' account and recognized him from the wanted pictures. He allegedly acknowledged his identity and was taken into custody.

Williams said nothing as he was led out of the police stationhouse in handcuffs. He had been identified Tuesday as the suspect in the May 8 attack on the "Boardwalk Empire" star in Kips Bay.

Police also revealed Friday that Buscemi was not Williams' only alleged victim that day: He punched a 22-year-old man near East 15th Street and Third Avenue just 10 minutes before slugging the actor, police said.

Williams was charged with misdemeanor assault in the first incident and felony assault in the attack on Buscemi, due to the 66-year-old being considered a senior citizen. Attorney information for Williams wasn't known.

There was no comment from the actor or his team regarding the arrest.

Williams had been staying at city shelters for the past few years. In April, he stayed at the Bellevue Men’s Shelter before being placed in Greenpoint.

Buscemi, a former FDNY firefighter, had mild bruising and swelling in one of his eyes as a result of the unprovoked attack. The actor's publicist said he was "OK and appreciates everyone’s well wishes, though incredibly sad for everyone that this has happened to while also walking the streets of NY.”

Known for his roles in the films "Fargo" and "Reservoir Dogs," or the recent TV series "Miracle Workers," Buscemi was last seen on screen in the final season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," which ended its 12 season run in April.

Buscemi was the second actor from the popular HBO television show "Boardwalk Empire" attacked this spring. Michael Stuhlbarg was struck in the head with a rock while walking near Central Park on March 31.

A homeless man, later identified as 27-year-old Xavier Israel, was taken into custody in connection with that incident; he faces assault and harassment charges. Israel is allegedly the same person who attacked a good Samaritan who gave him a coat in Manhattan more than two years ago.

A "Boardwalk Empire" actor is recovering from a rock to the head he suffered at random as he walked near Central Park Sunday night, authorities say.
Contact Us