Derrick Rose Attends 14-Year-Old Chicago Girl's Funeral

Hundreds packed South Side church for Endia Martin's funeral

Hundreds of friends and family, including a famous Chicago NBA star, packed a South Side church Monday morning to remember a 14-year-old girl who was fatally shot last week over an alleged dispute on Facebook.

Endia Martin was struck in the back in the 900 block of West Garfield Boulevard last Monday, police said, and pronounced dead at University of Chicago Comer Children's Hospital. Another teen was shot in the arm and is expected to fully recover.

Martin's funeral was held at 11 a.m. at St. Andrew's Temple in Chicago. Among those who attended was the Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose. He made a brief appearance at the funeral and was said to be "very upset right now."

Six people have since been charged in connection with the shooting, including a 14-year-old girl, whose name was not released, who is accused of pulling the trigger.

Police and prosecutors say the dispute between the two girls started over a boy and was fueled by comments on Facebook.

"How long have boys fought over girls and girls fought over boys," Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said after the shooting, "but you introduce a firearm and now you have a murder."

Floyd Evans, of the 200 block of East Ohio Street, was charged with illegally buying the weapon without a valid FOID card, in addition to a parole violation, police said.

Evans allegedly bought the gun last year from Robert James, 34, who was ordered held in lieu of $100,000 bail Thursday after being charged with disorderly conduct and selling a firearm without a FOID card. Prosecutors said James’ gun was used in Endia’s murder, but his public defender said it happened without his knowledge.

The gun was later obtained by Donnell Flora, the alleged shooter’s uncle, though police did not specify how the gun was transferred.

Vandetta Redwood, the alleged shooter’s aunt,  has been charged with mob action and obstruction of justice related to the shooting death of Martin. Prosecutors said she knew her niece was headed to a confrontation with a gun and didn’t try to stop her. She was ordered her held Thursday in lieu of $25,000 bail.

A 17-year-old boy had also been charged in connection with the shooting for allegedly hiding the murder weapon, police said. He is charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, as well as two counts of felony unlawful use of a weapon and a misdemeanor reckless damage charge.

Contact Us