Woman Trying to Repair Gas-Fueled Water Heater Blows Up Home

Authorities said an explosion and fire that destroyed a home in Taunton, Massachusetts, was caused by an accidental gas leak after the homeowner attempted to make repairs.

Police said 52-year-old Laurie Beliveau escaped her home unscathed late Sunday afternoon.

The blaze destroyed the single-family home at 40 Christine Lane after firefighters arrived. The flames have since been extinguished.

Massachusetts Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said Beliveau was attempting a repair on her gas-fueled hot-water heater and disconnected the gas valve, allowing gas to seep into the basement.

This gas was then ignited by an unknown source.

Beliveau was uninjured in the incident, but the home is a complete loss.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us