View Full Size

Son Accused in Mom's CO Killing Due in Court

A Bucks County man accused of killing his own mother with carbon monoxide from a portable generator in a possible murder-suicide pact is set to appear in court Wednesday.

Bensalem Police say that they found Koustantinos "Gus" Yiambilisis killed his mother Karen Yiambilis inside the Longmeadow Apartment unit they shared.

Police responded to the 3000 block of Bristol Road on April 7 for a report of fumes coming from the interior of an apartment unit.

When the responding officers and firefighters arrived, they were met at the door by 30-year-old Koustantinos Yiambilis.

The officers entered the apartment where they found Yiambilis’ 59-year-old mother lying unconscious on the bedroom floor. She was taken to Aria Torresdale Hospital where she later died.

Koustantinos Yiambilis was also taken to the hospital for evaluation and treatment. Residents in four adjacent apartments were evacuated until officials determined the scene was safe.

According to police, a preliminary investigation found that Yiambilis intentionally caused the death of his mother by using a portable generator. He was arrested and charged with criminal homicide, risking a catastrophe, recklessly endangering another person and other related offenses.

Despite the charges, neighbors who spoke with NBC10 say they believe the incident was actually a suicide pact between the mother and son who had recently been hit by hard times.

According to neighbors, Yiambilis was fired from his job last Friday and needed brain surgery after suffering a serious head injury. With his mother unemployed as well, the family didn't have the money for the procedure.

Friends also claim that Karen Yiambilis was the one who actually asked to borrow the generator from a neighbor Monday morning.

"I really don't think it was homicide at all," said Jessica Shaffery, one of the neighbors. "I think that they just had a lot going on and they didn't have the resources that they needed for themselves. I think it was just too much for them to handle at that point."

Yiambilis remains detained without bail.