Two people were killed-- including a 16-year-old girl fatally shot on Chicago’s South Side and a 25-year-old man killed a block from the Chicago Police Department headquarters-- and at least eight others were wounded in overnight Chicago shootings.
The teen girl was among two shot in a possible drive-by shooting in the city’s Englewood neighborhood early Saturday morning.
Police said the girl was standing outside around 12:45 a.m. with a man when a car drove by and someone inside fired shots. She was shot in the head and was found unresponsive at the scene and a 20-year-old man was shot in the back and taken in stable condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Janel Sedevic.
U.S. & World
A 25-year-old man was shot to death late Friday night in the city’s Bronzeville neighborhood.
The man was found unresponsive with a gunshot wound to the abdomen about a block of Chicago Police Headquarters in the 3500 block of South Indiana at around 11:35 p.m.
Authorities said someone walked up and fired shots at him before fleeing the scene.
At least eight people were wounded in shootings since Friday.
- Just after 3 a.m. Saturday, a 32-year-old man was shot near Grand and Ashland Avenues in the West Town neighborhood. Police said the man saw a woman and a man arguing and attempted to intervene when another man walked up to him and opened fire. The man was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County in critical condition.
- Two people were shot around 1:45 a.m. in the city’s North Austin neighborhood. A 19-year-old woman and a 27-year-old man were standing with a group in the 1600 block of North Mason Avenue when they told police they “heard shots and felt pain.” The woman was shot in the thigh and the man was shot in the leg. Both were taken to West Suburban Medical Center in stable condition.
- A 22-year-old man was shot around 10:30 p.m. Friday near 103rd and State Streets in the city’s Roseland neighborhood. The man was a passenger a vehicle that was stopped at a stoplight when someone walked up to it and opened fire. The driver of the vehicle fled the scene and police were notified shortly after. The victim suffered a wound to the buttocks and ankle and was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition.
- Ten minutes earlier, two people were shot in the 8900 block of South Ellis Avenue. A 32-year-old man was shot in the leg and back and a 19-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and buttocks. Both were taken in stable condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center.
- Around 6:40 p.m., a 20-year-old man was shot in the stomach during a possible drive-by in the 7400 block of South Greenwood Avenue. The man was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition.