What to Do If Your Car is Damaged by a Chicago Pothole

You might be able to receive some compensation

Chicago weather can make for tricky road conditions, leading to numerous potholes that can cause damage to cars. 

[NATL-CHI] Chicago Man Fills Potholes With Art

So what should you do if your car is damaged by a pothole while driving in the city? You might be able to receive some compensation. 

Drivers can file claims for review by the City Council, which can settle and award damages in some situations. 

Here are the steps to take for auto damage caused by a pothole or accident with a City vehicle: 

  • Complete and sign this Damage to Vehicle Claim Form
  • Provide a copy of paid receipt for the repairs performed to the car, OR two written estimates for the cost of repairing the damage (a copy of each is sufficient)
  • Provide a copy of a police report for the incident that resulted in the damage
Once you have gathered the necessary information, mail it or take it to the Officer of the City Clerk. 

Office of the City Clerk

Attn: Claims

121 N. LaSalle St, Room 107

Chicago, IL 60602-1295

To check the status of a claim, contact the Committee on Finance at (312) 744-8861. You can also monitor the status of a claim by searching for the claim number on the Clerk’s Legislative Information Center. Just navigate to the “Legislation” section and search by the claim number.

Claims can take several months to pass through City Council, officials warn. 

For more information, click here

Contact Us