Most know the ingredients of a McDonald’s Big Mac: two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions – on a sesame seed bun. So what were to happen if you were to pour molten copper on it? Apparently not much, at all.
In a new video uploaded to YouTube, user Tito4re did exactly that. He took a Big Mac and drenched it in what he claimed to be the scalding liquefied chemical just to see what would happen to the meal. Turns out, nothing really did. It ended up burnt to a crisp, but all the ingredients seemed to miraculously survive the hazardous material. In some parts of the clip, it looked as if the copper was bouncing right off of the patties.
The copper’s melting point, according to the video, was 1,984 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s been viewed nearly a million times since being posted Thursday. The user's channel is full of videos that see how everyday items react under similarly harsh conditions, according to TIME.
This isn’t the first time a McDonald’s meal has come under fire (pun intended) for holding up in a way that is abnormal for food. Last month, a woman’s Facebook post went viral after uploading photos that showed a Happy Meal she purchased six years ago. The images, which included a receipt from the day the meal was purchased, showed the chicken nuggets and fries never molded and were virtually unchanged.
“It's been sitting at our office this whole time and has not rotted, molded, or decomposed at all!!!” the post reads. “It smells only of cardboard.”
But McDonald’s argued that the photos did not accurately depict what happened.
“While not knowing the conditions in which the food was kept in this specific claim, what is scientifically known is that decomposition of food happens under certain conditions,” the Oak Brook-based company said in a statement. “Without sufficient moisture – either in the food itself or the environment in which it is held – decomposition is unlikely. This is not unique to McDonald’s food. Any food – whether homemade, store bought or from a restaurant - can dehydrate in a dry environment, therefore not decompose.”
A request for comment from McDonald’s on Tito4re’s YouTube video was not immediately returned Monday.