What to Know
- Here's a look at places that have announced closures so far in the Chicago area as a result of the extreme cold
Several schools, businesses and buildings are closed this week as life-threatening cold and potentially more snow blanket the Chicago area.
And many will stay closed Thursday.
Overnight Wednesday and into Thursday, temperatures are expected to continue their dangerous dive before warming slightly during the afternoon Thursday. [[505093192, C]]
A Wind Chill Warning remains in effect through noon. Snow will also be possible during the afternoon and evening.
- Want to know if your child's school will be closed this week? Check here for an updated list.
- Chicago Public Schools announced that all schools would be closed Thursday.
- The Art Institute of Chicago will remain closed on Thursday as a result of the cold weather gripping Chicago.
- Country artist Kacey Musgraves has canceled her show on Thursday and rescheduled it for March 25.
- Navy Pier announced several attractions, including the Centennial Wheel and The Beach Chicago, will be closed on Thursday.
- Lincoln Park Zoo revealed it will remain closed Thursday "for the safety of both animals and guests." "Our dedicated staff will remain on-site to care for the animals here, many of which will be inside in their barns and dens," the zoo said in a statement. "Several species that are acclimated to these conditions will continue to have outdoor and indoor access such as the polar bears."
- The Chicago Zoological Society also announced Brookfield Zoo would be closed Thursday, but will have a "skeleton crew on site" to care for animals. This marks only the fourth time in the zoo's 85-year history that is has closed.
- The Adler Planetarium will also be closed to the public Thursday. It will reopen for business Friday.
- The Shedd Aquarium will be closed Thursday.
- The Museum of Science and Industry will be closed Thursday to staff and guests.
- Lake County Indiana government buildings will be closed Thursday. This closure will include all offices and courts in Crown Point, Indiana, as well as Lake County Courthouses in Hammond, Gary and East Chicago. The buildings will reopen Friday.
- The Art Institute of Chicago announced it will remain closed Thursday "due to the extreme temperatures and for the safety of our staff and visitors."
- The Cook County offices of the Assessor, the Board of Review, the Clerk and the Recorder of Deeds will be closed Thursday.
- Chicago Veterans Benefits Affairs Regional Office will remain closed both Wednesday and Thursday.
- The Village of Niles will close its Village Hall until noon Thursday.
- The Niles Family Fitness Center will be closed through noon Thursday.
- Schaumburg Township District Library will reopen at 1 p.m. Thursday. This will affect all three locations Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates and Hanover Park.
- Circuit Court of cook County will be closed Thursday.
- Chicago Early Voting, currently located at 175 W. Washington St. will remain closed Thursday.
- Social Security offices will be closed or have delayed openings Thursday due to weather.
- USPS suspended mail delivery through Thursday in Chicago
- The 44th Ward office in Chicago will be closed until noon Thursday.
- All Amtrak Midwest corridor services to and from Chicago are canceled Thursday.
- Service is suspended on the Metra Electric Line through Thursday.
- Disney on Ice canceled its 10:30 a.m. Thursday performance at the United Center.
- The Lake County Sheriff’s Office Business Offices and lobbies, along with numerous other Lake County government offices, will be closed Thursday.
- Gary City Hall is closed Thursday, but the Board of Works will meet.
- Chicago Immigration Court is closed Thursday.
- Chicago Botanic Gardens remain closed Thursday.