At least six people have become ill after an outbreak of Salmonella on the city’s West Side, according to the Chicago Department of Public Health.
The department says that the individuals ate carnitas and other foods that were purchased on Feb. 23 and 24 at the Supermercado Rivera. According to a press release, the foods were purchased at the kitchen counter of the grocery store, located in the city’s Archer Heights neighborhood.
The department advises shoppers who purchased food from the kitchen counter on the affected dates to throw it away immediately.
If shoppers have already consumed food purchased at the counter on those dates, the department warns that they may have already been exposed to Salmonella. Most Salmonella infections resolve themselves without antibiotics, but older individuals and those with weakened immune systems may need medical evaluation or treatment.
If you are experiencing any symptoms associated with Salmonella, including dehydration, severe diarrhea, or high fever, and consumed food from the store that was purchased on the affected dates, you are encouraged to seek medical attention, and to contact the Department of Public Health at 312-746-7425.
Those with the disease often develop symptoms within 12 to 72 hours of consuming tainted food. Symptoms usually last four to seven days, and most individuals recover without treatment.