oakbrook center

Police Still Searching for Suspected Gunman After Shootout at Oakbrook Center

NBC Universal, Inc.

Police are searching for a second suspected gunman hours after gunfire rang out at Oakbrook Center Mall two days before Christmas amid the busy last-minute holiday shopping rush, injuring several people.

Two suspects, including one alleged shooter and a "companion" of one of the suspected gunmen, were already in custody as of Thursday evening, but a third person, believed to be the second shooter, was still being sought Friday morning, police said.

Police released images of the suspect they are still looking for early Friday, asking anyone who may recognize him or have additional information on the shootout that sent holiday shoppers running for cover to contact Administrative Sergeant Reid Foltyniewicz via e-mail at RFoltyniewicz@oak-brook.org or phone (630) 368-8746.

Police say that at least five people were injured during the incident Thursday.

According to authorities, a police officer that was working at Nordstrom overheard gunfire at approximately 5:44 p.m. The gunfire originated from a corridor between the store and Ann Taylor, authorities said.

Police say two individuals were seen firing gunshots at one another, sending shoppers fleeing into stores for cover.

An eyewitness told NBC 5 that the mall was placed on lockdown at approximately 6 p.m. because of the incident, and said she was forced to hide in the stockroom of Nordstrom's.

NBC 5's Vi Nguyen was outside of Oakbrook Center shortly after the shooting:

When the officer moved to confront the suspects, they both attempted to run into the Nordstrom store to flee.

Police said one suspect, who was shot at least four times, was hospitalized and is expected to survive. Another suspect was taken into custody while trying to leave the area, authorities said, but one suspected shooter remained at large.

At least three other bystanders were struck by gunfire, according to officials.

A woman in her 40s was shot in the left thigh, another woman in her 40s was shot in the left thigh, and a woman in her 20s was shot in the right foot. A fifth victim, a woman in her 20s, fractured her ankle while fleeing the scene.

More than 100 police officers were at the scene into late Thursday, including multiple SWAT teams. NBC's Sky 5 helicopter observed SWAT teams entering stores as they continued to work to clear the mall.

Brookfield Properties, the management company that runs the mall, issued a statement thanking police for responding to what they termed an “isolated incident.”

“Tonight’s isolated incident is extremely upsetting for our shopping community,” officials said in the statement. “We are grateful for our partners at the Oak Brook Police Department for their diligence in leading this developing investigation.”

The mall was expected to reopen at 10 a.m. Friday.

Contact Us