Police Still Searching for Suspect in Shooting That Injured 8 at Wisconsin Mall

According to police, the shooting happened just before 3 p.m. at an entrance to a Macy's store at the Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa, northwest of Milwaukee

NBCUniversal Media, LLC

Police in Wisconsin are still searching for a suspect in a shooting that left eight people injured at a suburban Milwaukee shopping mall Friday.

The shooting occurred at the Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, according to authorities. The shooting occurred during an altercation near the entrance to the Macy’s location at the mall, and was not a random act, police said.

As of noon Saturday, police are still working to identify the suspect in the incident. Those with information on the shooting are asked to call authorities at 414-471-8430.

Police are also reminding the public that the mall is closed for business Saturday amid the ongoing investigation into the incident. Individuals who need to pick up property or a vehicle that was left at the mall after Friday’s shooting are asked to call mall security at 414-443-5140.

When officers arrived, the shooter was no longer at the scene, but first responders discovered seven adults and one teenager wounded, Wauwatosa Police Chief Barry Weber said. The victims were hospitalized following the shooting but the extent of their injuries was not immediately known, Weber said.

Police said witnesses reported the shooter was a man in his 20s or 30s, but his identity was not immediately known.

Armed officers, including FBI agents and SWAT members, could be seen in areas outside the mall for several hours Friday afternoon.

The FBI Milwaukee office confirmed it was assisting with the investigation.

Macy's said in a statement it was working with the police department on the investigation.

"We are saddened about the incident tonight at Mayfair Mall, as the safety of Macy’s customers and employees is our top priority," the company said in a statement. "We are working closely with the Wauwatosa Police Department and local officials on this investigation and defer all comments about the case to local authorities per policy."

A witness who works inside the store reported hearing several shots fired.

"I work at Finish Line and I see... I heard a shot fired, but at first we didn't know it was a shot," said Bianca Delos Reyes. "And then everyone was looking around... and then I saw a person fall."

Delos Reyes, who lives in Chicago but was working at the Finish Line inside Macy's to help out, said she and others ran from the building.

"As soon as I got to the parking lot, a lot of people were running right behind me," she said. "I tucked in between cars. We were all just in between cars trying to figure out what was happening. I swear it was more than 10 shots."

The Mayfair Mall was the site of a February shooting in which a city police officer, Joseph Mensah, shot and killed Alvin Cole, a Black 17-year-old. Police said Cole was fleeing from police; Mensah, who is also Black, said he shot Cole because Cole pointed a gun at him. The mall was the target of sporadic protests over several months in the wake of the shooting.

The Milwaukee County district attorney declined to file charges against Mensah, but the city this week agreed to a separation agreement in which Mensah will be paid at least $130,000 to leave the force.

NBC Chicago/Associated Press
Contact Us