Peoples Gas incurred damage to their South Side natural gas line Wednesday, forcing them to temporarily shut off gas service to the 3100 and 3200 block of Wentworth Avenue.
The Chicago Fire Department said they received a call shortly before 1:00 p.m. reporting a gas leak at 3120 S. Wentworth Avenue. Upon arrival, authorities found a medium-pressured gas line punctured by an independent contractor.
Peoples Gas officials inspected the damage and escalated the incident to a Level II hazmat situation.
The affected area left four Chicago Housing Authority buildings without gas, a Peoples Gas spokesperson confirmed.
As of 6:30 p.m. Peoples Gas confirmed to have effectively restored their natural gas service, which provides heat, to the affected area. Cooking gas for 3120 S. Wentworth will remain off until final repairs can be completed Thursday.