Pair Found Handcuffed in Chicago Street Believed To Have Been Kidnapped in Elgin: Police

According to authorities, an off-duty officer was on Grand Avenue in the city's Belmont Central neighborhood when he spotted a man and a woman handcuffed to each other

An alleged kidnapping that led to a fatal police-involved in shooting in Chicago appears to have all started with a carjacking in Elgin, police say. 

The Elgin Police Department confirmed that a vehicular hijacking and kidnapping reported late Sunday evening in the northwest Chicago suburb was related to the incident that unfolded in Chicago's Belmont Central neighborhood Monday morning. 

The carjacking and alleged kidnapping happened Sunday evening in the 100 block of North Porter Street, authorities said. 

"This does not appear to be a random act and the kidnapping victims were known to the offenders," Elgin police wrote on their Facebook page. 

Hours later, an off-duty officer spotted a man and a woman running while handcuffed together, Chicago police said. The officer stopped and the pair told him they were kidnapped and held against their will, authorities said. 

A Chicago police spokesperson said they believe the two were kidnapped in a surrounding suburb, but officials declined to say where. 

The two told the officer the address where their captor was and the off-duty officer called the department for backup, police said. 

Police responded to the scene in the 6200 block of West Grand Avenue "in an effort to locate the offender and possibly other victims," authorities said.

"The officers then proceeded to the apartment fearing that there were additional victims and or possibly to locate the offender," said Sgt. Cindy Guerra. "Once inside the apartment, an armed confrontation ensued with the offender causing the officer to discharge his weapon and strike the offender." 

The 41-year-old man shot by police was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center where a CPD spokesperson said he was pronounced dead.

Police said a weapon was recovered from the scene but did not say if the weapon was pointed at police. They added the person shot was "known to police." 

Police said no officers were injured in the incident and investigators were still speaking with the man and woman who were handcuffed. Elgin police said both department were investigating the matter. 

The shooting is being investigated by the Civilian Office of Police Accountability and the officers involved were placed on routine adminsitrative duties for 30 days. 

Check back for more on this developing story. 

Contact Us